Thursday, July 24, 2014

A lot happens in 2 years…

When I look at childhood friends’ Facebook pages, friends I have not spoken to or really seen face-to-face in over 30 years, I am surprised to see how they have grown and changed. I don’t know why I am startled by the outlines of their evolved faces, their bodies taller and their children’s pictures peppering their time lines. This is especially true when I look at ex-boyfriend’s pages, and I admit, I do this, though not often. I suppose I am surprised because I value my memory over reality. How dare things change when I look away for 30 years!

But my life has not changed with as much depth and breadth as it has in the last 2 years. I had another beautiful baby girl, Sweet D, now 1 and ½ years old, and moved from Boston to a sleepy suburb just outside it. We bought a house and we have a second car, despite our diehard love of public transportation. Our oldest daughter Poco was very sick for a time, but now she is better, happy, and growing. Lastly, I changed jobs, which was probably the hardest change for me. I loved the last practice I was a part of, but the commute into the city via car and train and trudging uphill was too much.

Now, I’m a primary care doctor in Quincy, MA at a practice smaller than my last and a short drive from my house. My children go to school literally next door to my office. My patients are older than those at my last practice, but I still have some younger patients. Everyone here has been calm, attentive, and most of all, kind. The atmosphere is different. I see many older patients, something I love to do. My mother is a Geriatric Psychiatrist and she tells me she doesn’t want to retire, because she loves taking care of her patients. I can understand how she feels. It is quite rewarding.

No comments: